16 Kasım 2012 Cuma

Gluten-Free French Fried Onion Rings

To contact us Click HERE
Gluten-Free French Fried Onion Rings
Thanksgiving is the time of year that everyone wants to make old family traditional foods. That is not always easy for someone on a GF diet. Last year at this time I posted a recipe for home-made cream of mushroom soup and it has been my most popular recipe because we all want to make grandma's green bean casserole. I have many viewers from other countries who might not know what that is so I will post that recipe next. But the important topping for green bean casserole is canned onion rings. Of course we can't have that on a GF diet, but onion rings are very easy to make. I made two versions last night, the ones on the left of the plate in the picture are made with buttermilk and flour and on the right side are beer battered.

For either recipe you need a large sweet onion, peeled and sliced. For eating the onion rings I would slice them a little thicker. I sliced them thin to use in the casserole.

Recipe one: pour about a cup of buttermilk into a bowl, and place rice flour on a plate, adding salt and pepper if desired. Dip the onion rings in the milk and roll in the flour.
Dip onions in buttermilk

Roll onions in flour
The second recipe is for a beer batter. Place about a cup of rice flour into a bowl. Slowly pour in gluten-free beer while stirring. It will be kind of bubbly. Add enough beer until it kind of looks like pancake batter.  Add salt and pepper if desired. An alternate recipe would be to use buttermilk in place of the beer. Dip the onion rings in the batter.

Fry the rings until golden brown in hot oil.  I used Canola oil or you could also use Crisco.
These really are easy but a bit messy. Don't plan on making these on Thanksgiving day. I made hamburgers one night and served these with it and saved the other half in the refrigerator for making the green bean casserole the next day. You could also make them further ahead and freeze.

My husband and I debated about which would be the better recipe. He strongly liked the beer battered ones best. By the way, the alcohol cooks off and they surprisingly don't taste like beer. For just eating onion rings I liked the beer battered best, but for a casserole I think the others would be fine. The battered ones have a much stronger crust that does not break off.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder