10 Kasım 2012 Cumartesi

Acorn Squash Soup

To contact us Click HERE
Acorn Squash Soup
Doesn't this soup look delicious? I like mine thick, but you could make yours thinner and more..well..soup-like. I looked through a bunch of cookbooks and websites for recipes and became more and more confused. Is it that hard...really..peel a squash (try to do that in less than 15 minutes)..cube it, roast it, puree it...etc? Well you know I didn't do that so see my easy recipe below.
Baked Acorn Squash
 To roast a squash: Stick a knife in it and make a slit for a steam hole. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Take it out with a potholder and run it under cold water a bit. Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. You won't believe how easy it is to cut and seed by using the microwave step. Place cut side down on a baking sheet a bake for about 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven until a fork can poke through easily. For soup you want it to really be soft! This makes a delicious side dish by adding some butter, salt and pepper. You can just nuke a squash all the way, but the roasting brings out the natural sweetness and makes it yummy.

To make soup: Let the squash cool just enough to handle or use a potholder and scoop the pulp out into a pan.  Add 2 Tblsp butter, 1/2 cup milk, 1 to 1 1/2 cups GF chicken broth or stock (pictured 1 cup), 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk it up until smooth and simmer until hot. You could skip the milk and just use broth.

Tip: I buy GF Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock in the large cartons (I never see the small ones any more, but they were more expensive anyway)  and freeze it in bowls, one cup each.

Any variety of squash makes a good soup.

Yummy, healthy, fast dinner.
 For this meal I had fresh green beans, roasted cherry tomatoes (see previous post), roasted squash and Rosemary Chicken Breasts. The squash, tomatoes and chicken cooked in a 400 degree oven in less than half an hour while I did some laundry. Yummy and healthy dinner!

Quick tip from my childhood: Only break off the stem end of fresh beans. The pointy end is just fine to eat and actually looks kind of fancy!!!

Rosemary chicken soup
Next day lunch: Cut up leftover rosemary chicken and added the roasted tomatoes, covered with chicken broth and threw in a little bit of rice noodles. Delicious, and I actually ate it for lunch for three days haha. It was so good, that next time I make chicken soup I might roast the chicken with rosemary instead of boiling it. Oh, the flavor!

Enjoy this beautiful fall weather! I have been making a lot of purses lately so check out my GlorDecor blog too.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder