2 Ekim 2012 Salı

chocolate hummus $2.77 recipe / $0.35 serving

To contact us Click HERE

chocolate hummus

$2.77 recipe / $0.35 serving
Okay, so this doesn't really have anything in common with hummus aside from the chickpeas, so don't freak out just yet.

This recipe comes courtesy of one of my wonderful readers, Gazel. When she emailed me this recipe for a chocolate flavored dip made with chickpeas, I was immediately intrigued. I'm not a super chocolate freak, but I like the idea of kicking a sweet tooth with something that has tons of fiber! Plus, it's made out of ingredients that I usually have on hand, which makes it super convenient.

I bought some pretzels to dip in my choco-hummus, and that was awesome. But then I tried it with the tart green apple and almost died. SO GOOD. You could also make some cinnamon and sugar tortilla chips and turn this into a sort of chocolate nacho type thing. Yum! So many possibilities.

The amount and type of sugar used here are very flexible. Gazel suggested using honey or agave nectar, while I used plain white sugar to keep the price down. Start with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of sugar and add more if you feel it necessary. I liked it super sweet with a full 1/4 cup - call me indulgent! Have fun with this one because you can make it your own!

chocolate hummus

Chocolate Hummus

Print Friendly and PDF

Total Recipe cost: $2.77
Servings Per Recipe: 8 (1/4 cup each)
Cost per serving: $0.35
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 5 min. Total: 15 min.

INGREDIENTS COST
1 (16 oz.) can chickpeas $1.29
4 to 6 oz. evaporated milk $1.12
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder $0.16
1/4 cup sugar $0.04
1/2 tsp vanilla extract $0.14
1/4 tsp cinnamon $0.02
TOTAL $2.77

STEP 1: Empty the entire can of chickpeas into a small pot and simmer over a medium-high flame for 5 minutes to further soften the beans. Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse with cool water.

STEP 2: Combine the rinsed and drained chickpeas, 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of evaporated milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a food processor or blender. Pulse or process until smooth. Add more evaporated milk as needed until the mixture is an even consistency, but still thick.

Serve immediately or chill until ready to eat. The chocolate hummus should stay fresh in the refrigerator for approximately five days.

Chocolate Hummus



Step By Step Photos

simmer chickpeas
Simmer the chickpeas in their liquid for about five minutes. This helps soften the beans, which will give you a smoother dip. I skipped this step the first time I made this and the dip was just slightly grainier than the batch that I did simmer, but delicious all the same. If you're in a hurry, you can skip it.

dip ingredients
Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a food processor or blender along with the evaporated milk, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Start with just 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk and add a tablespoon or two more if needed to make it blend smooth. I happened to have 2% evaporated milk, but I bet full fat evaporated milk would be even yummier.

Chocolate Hummus
And then just process or blend until smooth!! That's it! Seriously!

Beans really are the magical fruit.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder