17 Haziran 2012 Pazar

Q & A Gluten-Free Mix

To contact us Click HERE

Carolyn wrote to me asking if there was an alternative to expensive GF mixes for a senior citizen on a budget. Well Carolyn, everyone is on a budget these days, and even if you are not on a tight budget GF foods can be expensive! I thought I'd answer her question on the blog as many people might be interested.
I have always made my recipes into mixes as there were no mixes when I was first diagnosed. The recipes on my blog that are my staples are corn bread, muffins, pancakes, pizza crust and chocolate cake. Any recipe can be adapted though by separating the wet and dry ingredients. I have mine written on cards and taped to the inside of my baking cabinet (pic 2). I bake muffins once a week as it is a frugal alternative to expensive toast, so I make six mixes at a time and put them in bags inside of a jar (pic 1). I used to make flour mixtures for certain recipes and then just scoop them out, but you still are having to wash measuring tools everytime. I find this way is easier. Small mixes like cornbread I put into plastic leftover containers and stack up in the cupboard. Canning jars work well too and I usually keep a cake mix on hand.
Last week Mike and I traveled south about a hundred miles to Arcola and Arthur, Illinois which are populated by Amish residents. I really should be an Amish person as cooking, gardening and quilting are favorites of mine and the Amish. However, I would not be able to give up the make-up and bling of my jewelry and colorful clothes...and of course the internet (I don't have TV, though)!
We like to visit a store called Beachy's that sells bulk food. I really stock up on spices, nuts, flours and things. They even have a gluten-free section. That is a good time for me to stock up my mix cabinet. I also like to take all of my older flours and mix them together and use them first. Things I don't use as often I store in the freezer as whole grains can go rancid.
Thanks for writing Carolyn, happy baking! GF Gloria

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder