14 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

cardamom cornmeal cookies $2.46 recipe / $0.15 each

To contact us Click HERE

cardamom cornmeal cookies

$2.46 recipe / $0.15 each
This Valentine's Day I'm professing my new love for cardamom. I always shied away from buying cardamom because it's one of the most expensive spices out there, but I recently came across a large jar of pods at World Market for a really good price (about $4-$5 dollars, if I remember correctly). The jar sat in my cabinet for quite a while before I got up the courage to break open the pods and discover what was inside...

When I did, I was blown away by the floral and almost citrusy scent that wafted up at me. It was amazing.

Sure, the spice is expensive, but that doesn't mean it can't be used in moderation for special occasions, like Valentine's Day! I added cardamom to this simple cornmeal cookie recipe from Martha Stewart and it was a match made in heaven. My cookies look a little bit flatter, but that's because I tried to make a half batch (so I wouldn't eat ALL 16 COOKIES) and I wasn't so successful at halving the egg. :P

Anyway, these cookies are awesomely awesome. I'm going to make them again and experiment with many different flavors. They just SO EASY. Make some for your sweetie tonight! ;D

Cardamom Cornmeal Cookies

Cardamom Cornmeal Cookies

Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cornmeal Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF
Total Recipe cost: $2.46
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Cost per serving: $0.15 (per cookie)
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 15 min. Total: 25 min.
INGREDIENTS COST
1.5 cups all-purpose flour $0.15
1/2 cup cornmeal $0.12
1 tsp ground cardamom* $0.30
1/2 tsp salt $0.02
1.5 sticks (12 Tbsp) butter, room temp. $1.03
3/4 cup sugar $0.11
1 large egg $0.25
1 tsp vanilla extract $0.28
TOTAL $2.46
*Cardamom looses its potency quickly once ground, so it's best to use freshly ground cardamom.

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, cardamom, and salt.

STEP 2: In a separate bowl beat together the room temperature butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and beat again until smooth. A mixer works best for this, but you can do it by hand with a LOT of elbow grease.

STEP 3: Slowly add the flour mixture into the butter, sugar, and eggs while beating until it is all incorporated.

STEP 4: Spoon the batter onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (each mound should be about 2 Tbsp in volume). Use your fingers to shape the mounds into rough circles. Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the edges start to brown slightly. Enjoy!

Cardamom Cornmeal Cookies


Step By Step Photos


cardamom pods
This is the cardamom that I got at World Market. The jar is a pretty good size. You can also check ethnic grocery stores, especially Indian or Asian for a better price than most chain grocery stores.

open pods
The pods are made out of a papery skin that is easily cracked open. The small black and brown seeds inside are what you will use. I got a half teaspoon of ground cardamom out of about 12 pods.

grinder
I wiped out my coffee grinder and put the seeds inside...

ground cardamom
And then a few seconds later I had ground cardamom that smelled SO GOOD.

dry ingredients
Stir together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and ground cardamom in a bowl.

cream butter sugar
Beat together the room temperature butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy looking, like this. Then add the vanill and egg, and beat again.

cookie batter
Then slowly add the flour mixture while beating until it's all incorporated and you have a cookie batter, like this! Don't add the flour all at once or you'll have flour flying out of your bowl and all over your kitchen (mixers are powerful, y'all).

drop cookies
Drop the cookies onto a baking sheet covered in parchment. I made each one about 2 Tbsp in volume. Use your fingers to shape the dough into nicer little circles.

bake
Bake the cookies in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until they're just slightly golden brown on the edges. My cookies spread a bit more than yours probably will, because I tried to half an egg and didn't do a very good job of it! :P But that's okay, they're still amazing.

Cardamom Cornmeal Cookies
Totally addictive. Fair warning.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder