27 Aralık 2012 Perşembe

Gluten-Free Survivalist Dry Storage

To contact us Click HERE


Heat Sealed Dry Goods
I am starting a new category for my blog entitled gluten-free survivalist. Most people are ill prepared for natural disasters and other catastrophes. But celiac people are even more at risk. If the Red Cross came around handing out food would we be able to eat it? Probably not. Many of us mail order food and have limited storage space. Many of our prepared foods and mixes are too expensive to stock up on, even if we had the storage space.

Yesterday my husband and I drove a little further down in Central Illinois to the Arcola/Arthur area, which most people know as Amish Country. There is a great bulk food store that I enjoy called Beachy's that is located on an Amish farm. So I thought I'd show you how I store some of my goods.
Many whole grains will go bad faster and need to be kept in a freezer or refrigerator, but not many of us have space for that. This is my method of storage:

Sterilize canning jars by boiling or running through the dishwasher. Thoroughly dry. Fill with grains, beans, or other dry goods. Place the open jars on a tray in the oven and bake at 250 degrees for one hour. Meanwhile have clean, dry rings set aside and place the lids in a pan of boiling water.
When the hour is up, carefully remove one jar at a time with a potholder. Dry one lid and place it on the jar with a ring and tighten down. Remove one jar at a time and repeat the process.
These foods will keep for a long time in the jars because the heat kills any insect eggs etc and sealing the jars keeps any moisture out. I have heard people say that it keeps for years, but I use mine up in a year and replenish.

NOTE: Placing food in the oven like this is only for dry goods that would normally last on a shelf. It extends the time that they will stay safe. This method CAN NOT be used for canning any other food such as jellies or vegetables which require a boiling water bath or pressure cooker.
Foods that I will use up quickly

What's left of last years beans, cooked and ready to freeze. I can make them into soup, side dishes or salads.

The way I cook my dried beans is called the fast soak method. I cover them with water in a large pot and bring them to a boil. Turn the burner off, cover, and let sit for one hour. Drain and rinse. Cover with fresh water and simmer for one hour.

The other method is to soak over night, drain and rinse the next day and cook, but I think they take longer to cook that way. You can cook them in the crock pot after soaking overnight though.

In case you have wondered why I haven't put any new recipes up lately, scroll down and click on my decorating blog, GlorDecor. I have been putting up 6 trees and making many purses!!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder