7 Aralık 2012 Cuma

Caramel Apple Stuffed French Toast

To contact us Click HERE

This recipe is what happens when I'm, walking through the grocery store to pick up milk and bread.  It never fails, I stop by my favorite grocery store to pick up a couple of things, and then somehow I end up needing assistance to the car with all of my goodies!  As I was strolling the bread aisle, my eyes fell on caramel apple swirl bread.  Oh my, being an avid lover of all things caramel, my mind immediately went into full swing wondering what I could make with my finding.  French toast immediately came to mind, but, wanting to explore an overnight stuffed french toast, I made my way to the baking aisle and I saw caramel apple pie filling.  Well, there it was,  a match made in heaven!  I developed this overnight baked french toast recipe, and I am delighted to share it with you, too.  I enjoy this french toast as is without syrup, but, my family really loves a dollop of whipped cream on the side.  Either way, it's a breakfast dish perfect for those busy "special breakfast" mornings!


You'll need:
1 16 oz. loaf of caramel apple swirl bread [I used Pepperidge Farm]
filling:
1 8 oz softened cream cheese
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1 21 oz. can caramel apple pie filling [I used Comstock]
custard:
1 pint half-n-half [2 cups]
10 large eggs
1/4 cup packed light/dark brown sugar
1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
crumb topping:
1/2 cup packed light/dark brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans
4 Tbs. cold butter

Spray a 9x13 inch baking with cooking spray.  Arrange 6 slices of bread side by side on the bottom of the dish.  Mix together the softened cream cheese and the next three filling ingredients until fully blended.  Spread over the bottom layer of bread slices.


Cut the apple pieces in the caramel apple pie filling  into bite size chunks, then spread over the cream cheese layer.  Place the last 6 slices of bread on top.


Whisk together the custard ingredients until combined, then pour over the bread.  This will take a few minutes to do, since the custard will need time to soak the into the bread.  Gently press the bread into the custard, and repeat until all of the custard has been added.  Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.


When you're ready to prepare,  preheat the oven to 375 degrees.   Remove the french toast from the refrigerator and allow it to warm to room temperature for 10-15 minutes.  Using a fork or pastry blender, cut the cold butter into the brown sugar and flour until blended, then mix in the pecans.


Crumble the topping over the top and bake for 45-47 minutes until golden and puffy.  Serve with or without pure maple syrup or a dollop of fresh whipped cream.  Yield: 8-12 servings

   

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder