8 Temmuz 2012 Pazar

chorizo breakfast nachos $7.05 recipe / $1.76 serving

To contact us Click HERE

chorizo breakfast nachos

$7.05 recipe / $1.76 serving
I had an extremely busy week so I pulled some chorizo out of my freezer that I had left over from another recipe and whipped up these super quick breakfast nachos for brinner. ...because I love breakfast, especially for dinner!

I love cooking with chorizo because it's so highly seasoned that you don't even have to add anything else. Add it to soups, stews, burgers, or burritos and it bring all of the flavor to the table that you'll need.

I decided to make my own baked tortilla chips for this because I had some corn tortillas in the fridge, but you could certainly use store bought. Baked chips definitely have a drier texture, so keep that in mind when decided whether to bake your own or buy some. Another alternative (and probably even less expensive) is to pile all of the toppings onto a bowl of grits. YUM!

In the step by step photos I've included some tips on making scrambled eggs... because there's nothing more tragic than dry, over cooked, flakey "scrambled" eggs.

chorizo breakfast nachos

Chorizo Breakfast Nachos

Print Friendly and PDF

Total Recipe cost: $7.05
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Cost per serving: $1.76
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 20 min. Total: 30 min.

INGREDIENTS COST
12 6-inch corn tortillas$0.77
8-10 oz. mexican chorizo $2.75
4 large eggs $1.00
1 Tbsp butter $0.10
1 cup shredded cheese $1.25
2 whole green onions $0.19
1 cup salsa $0.99
TOTAL $7.05

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Using a pizza cutter, slice the tortillas into wedges. Spread them out in a single layer on the baking sheet, trying not to let them overlap. Spray the tops with non-stick spray, bake for ten minutes, stir, and bake again until lightly golden brown (another 5-10 minutes, watch them carefully). Allow the chips to cool.

STEP 2: Squeeze the chorizo from its casing into a skillet. Cook the chorizo over medium heat until it is cooked through. Break the chorizo up as it cooks so that it has a crumbled texture. Allow it to drain on a paper towel covered plate.

STEP 3: Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium (or just below medium) heat. In a medium bowl, whisk together four large eggs along with 2 tablespoons of water. Once the skillet is heated and the butter has melted, pour in the eggs. Cook the eggs just until lightly set (see tips in the step by step photos).

STEP 4: Arrange the chips on one large platter or four individual plates. Top with the cooked chorizo, eggs, cheese, salsa, and sliced green onions. Serve warm!


Step By Step Photos


cut tortillas
If you're making your own chips, start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the tortillas into wedges. I find that cutting them into six pieces makes appropriate sized chips.

spread out chips
Spread the tortilla wedges out onto a baking sheet covered with foil and coated with non-stick spray. Try not to let them overlap much because they'll stick together.

baked tortilla chips
Bake the chips for about 10 minutes, give them a stir, and then bake some more until lightly golden brown (about 5-10 minutes more). Watch them closely, because as you can see in the photo, they start to burn quickly once they're dried out. I've made them a hundred times without burning them, but you know, since I had the camera out this one time... they burned. Oops.

chorizo
This is the chorizo that I used. It's a national brand and can be found in most grocery stores. It comes in a 19 oz. package (5 links) and I rarely use all of that for one recipe. So last time, I took out 2.5 links, put the rest in a freezer bag and kept it frozen until now. I let it thaw in my refrigerator over night.

cooked chorizo
Cook the chorizo in a skillet, breaking it up into crumbles as you go. Chorizo tends to be kind of greasy, so I let it drain on a paper towel covered plate when it was done.

melt butter
Now for the eggs! Eggs are just better in butter. It's a universal law. So, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium to medium-low heat. I shoot for just below the medium mark on my dial.

whisk eggs
Whisk the eggs together in a bowl along with a couple tablespoons of water. The water helps break up the egg clumps and also produces steam while they cook, making them a little bit fluffier.

cook eggs
Pour the eggs into the skillet with the melted butter. When the edges begin to set, use a spatula to pull it in towards the center, allowing the uncooked egg to run back into it's place.

half cooked eggs
Keep repeating this process, allowing the edges to set before you touch them again. One of the biggest mistakes people make with scrambled eggs is stirring them too much. Just pulling them in towards the center creates gentle folds of egg instead of little bits of broken up cooked egg.

cooked eggs
The other mistake that is commonly made is overcooking the eggs. You want to stop when the eggs have just become solid. The surface should still be glossy, not dry. Don't be afraid of a little gooey-ness because the egg will continue to set from residual heat after you turn off the heat. These eggs are soft, moist, and quite perfect if I do say so myself!

Chorizo Breakfast Nachos
Build your nachos in one big platter and let people dig in or build individual plates. I like chips on the bottom, then chorizo, eggs, cheese, salsa, and sliced green onions. I had a little bit of cilantro in the fridge so I garnished with that for the photo, but it's not necessary.

This recipe makes a great, hearty breakfast, brunch, or brinner!

I was SOOO hungry and SOOO tired the night that I made these that I didn't even have the patience to take good pictures. I snapped a couple and then devoured those nachos! But you don't blame me, right? Didn't think so. ;)

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder